If the project of HRD Ministry goes smoothly as planned, then next version of Aakash tablet, i.e. Aakash 4 may hit the Indian market in coming January’14. The specifications of new tablets are improved significantly and will match with the latest tablets from International giants. The Aakash 4 is said to have voice calling facility.
The proposed specs of Aakash 4 are as follows
- Screen Size: 7 inch LCD display with resolution of at-least 800×480 pixels
- Operating System: It must have dual OSs, one should be latest Android i.e. at least Android Jelly Bean v4.2 and other one must be Ubuntu OS.
- Processor: Quad-core
- RAM: minimum 1GB DDR3
- Internal Memory: minimum 4GB on board and it must also be expandable up to 32GB through micro SD card.
- Camera: Earlier version were having front facing VGA camera, it is expected that improved front camera may be fitted on the tablet.
- Connectivity: WiFi (b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1 or higher version, 2G/3G/4G-TD LTE via external dongle and USB port for printer, mouse or Keyboard.
- Battery: It must be so powerful that it must deliver at least 3Hrs uninterpretable use of it.
- Other feature: Aakash 4 will support multilingual and allow students to read and compose in English as well as seven Indian languages like Hindi, Kannad, Punjabi, Gujarati, Tamil, Malayalam, Manipur etc along with audio-video chat facility.
- Price and availability: The cost of new Aakash 4 tablets is estimated at USD 35$ (Rs 2100 approximately) and will be made available to students of engineering institutes at subsidized rate.
If Aakash 4 releases in time without a glitch, it will give some serious competition to popular low-cost Android tablets available in the Indian market.